Fall Skin Care Tips
Arizona’s extreme climate can be hard on your skin, even if you’ve lived here for years. At no time is this more true than the “shoulder seasons” — fall and spring — when temperatures change quickly. Our skin care patients in Tucson say this time of year can wreak havoc on their complexions. Here are my favorite ways to help keep up, even when the weather is unpredictable:
1. The ResurFX™ Laser: Its incredible versatility makes it one of our favorite laser devices. It can help reduce the appearance of discoloration, age spots and sun spots, certain types of scars, stretch marks, fine lines, and wrinkles, undoing the damage of summers past. Best of all, it’s non-ablative, so you can get back to your usual activities almost as soon as your treatment is over.
2. IPL: Short for intense pulsed light, these energy treatments can help reduce the appearance of sun spots by lifting red and brown pigments from the skin. IPL is popular on its own, thanks to its ability to reduce sun damage — but it also makes a wonderful complement to the ResurFX laser.
3. Clear + Brilliant®: Less aggressive than many of the other lasers we offer, Clear + Brilliant is a great choice for laser “newbies” or people who simply want to freshen up their skin without irritation. It can address early signs of aging and reduce the appearance of sun damage. Clear + Brilliant works by creating minor damage to the skin’s upper layers, allowing new, healthy skin to replace it.
4. Microdermabrasion: At Skin Spectrum, we trust the DiamondTome® System Wand for our microdermabrasion services. This treatment sheds the top layer of dead skin cells, stimulating collagen production, and resulting in a healthy glow. Microdermabrasion also makes your skin more receptive to the active ingredients in many skin care products, maximizing their power to improve your skin.
5. Up Your Water Intake: Changes in the climate can dry out your skin, especially when it starts to get cooler outside. Hydrated skin starts within, so squeeze a lemon or lime wedge into your water bottle for a more satisfying sip.
6. Use a High-Quality Moisturizer: When you’re exfoliating and sloughing off those dead skin cells, it’s important to keep the newly exposed skin nourished and moisturized. This is especially important if you’re acne-prone. Exfoliation can stimulate the skin to hold onto lost moisture in the form of comedogenic oils. Properly moisturized skin heals more effectively than skin that’s stripped and dried out.
7. You Still Need Sunscreen: Sure, the days are getting shorter, but the sun isn’t going away altogether. While you’re repairing the damage done over the summer, it’s important to stave off future damage, too. If it’s daytime, the sun’s rays are reaching your skin, even if it’s overcast. By wearing sunscreen daily, you’ll reduce the amount of cumulative sun damage you’ll experience. This is one easy habit that really pays off.
Want more tips for transitioning skin to fall? We’d love to help you get set up with the right routine for your skin type and aesthetic goals. Get in touch with us to set up a skin care consultation soon!